PREPARING FOR YOUR CHICAGO PLASTIC SURGERY
- STOP SMOKING: Smoking reduces circulation to the skin and impedes healing. For your safety, stop 3-4 weeks prior to surgery.
- TAKE MULTIVITAMINS: Start taking multivitamins once daily to improve your general health once you have scheduled your surgery.
- DO NOT TAKE ASPIRIN OR IBUPROFEN: Stop taking medications containing aspirin or ibuprofen. Review the list of drugs containing aspirin and ibuprofen carefully. Such drugs can cause bleeding problems during and after surgery. Instead, use medications containing acetaminophen (such as Tylenol).
- LIMIT VITAMIN E: Do not take vitamin E for 3 weeks prior to surgery.
- STOP TAKING ALL HERBAL SUPPLEMENTS: Many of these supplements have been linked to an increased risk of bleeding problems during and after surgery.
- FILL YOUR PRESCRIPTIONS: You will be given prescriptions for medications. Please have them filled BEFORE the day of surgery and bring them with you.
THE DAY BEFORE SURGERY
- CONFIRM SURGERY TIME: We will call you to confirm the time of your surgery. If you are not going to be at home or at your office, please call us to confirm at (847) 696 9900.
- PRESCRIPTIONS: Make sure that you have filled the prescriptions you were given and set the medications out to bring with you tomorrow.
- CLEANSING: The night before surgery, shower and wash the surgical areas with Dial soap.
- EATING AND DRINKING: Do not eat or drink anything after 12:00 midnight. This includes water.
THE MORNING OF SURGERY
- SPECIAL INFORMATION: Do not eat or drink anything! If you take a daily medication, you may take it with a sip of water in the early morning.
- ORAL HYGIENE: You may brush your teeth but do not swallow the water.
- CLEANSING: Shower and wash the surgical areas again with Dial soap.
- MAKE-UP: Please do not wear moisturizers, creams, lotions, or makeup.
- CLOTHING: Wear only comfortable, loose fitting clothing that does not go over your head. Remove hairpins, wigs, and jewelry. Please do not bring
THE DAY AFTER SURGERY
- SPECIAL INFORMATION: Take it easy! If you take a daily medication, take it as you normally would.
- ORAL HYGIENE: You may brush your teeth and rinse out your mouth. If you have had facial or intraoral surgery, be gentle.
- CLEANSING: You may shower after seeing Dr. Speron, who will make sure everything looks ok.
- INCISIONS: Dr. Speron will instruct you on dressing changes after your 1st visit.
- MAKE-UP: Please do not wear moisturizers, creams, lotions, or makeup until all your sutures are removed.
- CLOTHING: Wear only comfortable, loose fitting clothing that does not go over your head. Remove hairpins, wigs, and jewelry.
** call your doctor for unusual conditions such as: bleeding,
severe pain, etc