Sadly, our precious fall weather is now a distant memory and we are smack dab in the middle of winter. Mild, cool weather has been replaced with wind, snow and bitter cold. Unfortunately, this is a time that our skin tends to suffer the most due to a combination of the elements and indoor heating.
It is important to understand that the skin care products we have been using in the warmer months may not be sufficient enough to protect it during the winter season. Products that contain salicylic acid or retinoids should be avoided since they tend to irritate dry and sensitive skin. Also make sure that you are using a heavier moisturizer than what you would use during the summer seasons. Oil based moisturizers, as opposed to water based, are great for holding more moisture on your skin.
Also, make sure that you are exfoliating your skin at least twice a week. Buffing away the dead skin cells helps your moisturizer permeate your skin better. The optimal time for exfoliating is at the end of your shower, when the steam has opened up your pores the most. It is recommended to avoid long and hot showers (or baths) because they tend to result in your skin losing more moisture.
Last but not least, consider purchasing a humidifier. Humidifiers are great for introducing more moisture into the air and preventing our skin from drying out from indoor heating.
As the days get shorter and we find ourselves exposed to less day light, it is not uncommon to notice a change in our moods. Especially here in the north, many people suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), also known as the winter blues. SAD is a condition that is brought on by a lack of sunlight exposure and changes in weather.
Fortunately, there are steps you can take to improve your mood and alleviate the symptoms of the winter blues.
1. Make sure you are taking either a Vitamin D supplements or eating foods that are rich in Vitamin D (salmon or eggs). During the warmer months, we can get our Vitamin D intake through a 15 minute daily dose of sunshine. Since there tends to be a lack of sunlight during the winter season, it is more important to get our recommended dose elsewhere.
2. Try not to sleep in too much. Oversleeping can increase feelings of fatigue and depression.
3. Exercise at least three times a week and soak in the endorphins for a nice boost in mood.
4. Stay social. Due to the unfavorable weather, it is easy to choose a night indoors as opposed to our usual social activities. However, try not to neglect these activities too much because maintaining a strong social network has been proven to help fight depression.
5. Look into light therapy. A light therapy box is used to mimic natural sunlight in order to boost a person’s mood and ease symptoms of SAD.
6. Seek help and counseling. If lower moods and feelings of depression are becoming overwhelming, consider seeking a counselor or talk therapy to help you cope.
Plastic Surgery Tip
Chicago Breast Implants - Saline Vs Silicone Breast Implants
Breast augmentations are undoubtedly one of the most common cosmetic procedures. Women are given the options of choosing either silicone or saline for their implants. While both have an outer silicone shell, there are notable differences between the two implants that should be taken into account.
Saline implants are filled with saline (sterile saltwater) at the time of surgery. They tend to feel harder and less natural as opposed to silicone implants. An upside to a saline implant is that if it ruptures, the implant will simply deflate and the body will safely absorb the saline solution. There is also a lower rate of capsular contractures with a saline implant. However, the chance of a downward displacement is higher in saline than it would be with a silicone implant. Saline implants are available for women from the age of 18 and over.
Silicone implants are pre-filled with silicone gel prior to the breast augmentation surgery. They are also known for having a very natural look and feel, even to the point where it is difficult to distinguish from real breast fat and tissue. Silicone implants have a lower rate of rippling and wrinkling as opposed to saline implants. However, it is difficult to identify a rupture with a silicone implant which is why the FDA recommends an MRI every two years to make sure a rupture has not occurred. Silicone implants are available for women from the age of 22 and over.
|To see before and after patient pictures,
please click here. |
During your consult with Dr. Speron, the patient will discuss their desired goals on an individual level. Then they will further discuss the course of treatment and potential complications at the appointment time. Please check out the wealth of information on our site by clicking here.
Make sure you chose a board certified plastic surgeon. A call to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or ASPS at 1-888-4-PLASTIC (ie. 1-888-475-2784) can tell you which doctors are legitimate plastic surgeons with outstanding qualifications. You can also visit the ASPS web site at www.plasticsurgery.org. The ASPS is the only one of the 24 boards approved by the American Board of Medical Specialties that certifies physicians in plastic surgery of the face and all areas of the body. When considering a cosmetic surgeon, you should also make sure your surgeon is a member of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS). A call to ASAPS (1-888-272-7711) or visiting the ASAPS website (www.plasticsurgery.org) can help you verify your plastic surgeons membership.
To help you in making your decision, please click here to check out the 7 critical questions to ask any plastic surgeon before letting them touch you!
By far, the most important factor in the success of your procedure is the surgeon you choose. So please choose wisely...
In The News
Dr. Speron and his clinical staff have recently reviewed and recommend the following articles:
Why Choose PrSkinCare.com
PrSkinCare.com offers the following features to help you feel more comfortable, more knowledgeable, and to save you more money. We offer...
- Private prices - create an account, log in, and see private prices and products that no one else can.
- 115% price protection - We guarantee you can't find it cheaper.
- A staff that truly cares about its customers and wants to provide education about skin care and products.
- Exceptional Customer Service